Wednesday, September 22, 2004

 

Van Gogh was no Gaugain

I have finally been to the Van Gogh Museum and it was quite wonderful. I had decided that this gloomy, cold, rainy windy day could do with some colour and where else but the Van Gogh Museum?
I was mistaken about "Starry Night". It is not at the Van Gogh Museum - it is at the Louvre. And because I couldn't find any cheap beds in Paris for the days that I was going to go I am not going this trip - I will go next time! And there is definitely going to be a next time. Anyway, I did get to see "Sunflowers" which was one of many versions that Van Gogh painted for Paul Gaugain's bedroom when they were trying to start an artists' colony. I was also lucky enough to see a lot of Monet & Manet. I have to admit that it was a lot to take in but for once I was clever and I took my journal in w/ me and made note of the paintings that I was really moved by. The list is longer than I thought it would be. My afternoon at the museum was capped by getting to see some of Gaugain's Tahitian paintings as well - and after comparing the two artists close up I still prefer Gaugain. Something about the combination of the intense colour in his paintings and the location and subject matter; I'm always mesmerized by his work.
Comments:
Sis so am I going with you to see the Beastie Boys or what! You still haven't emailed me to let me know. One of your brothers.
 
Somehow I think your bothers are hijacking your blog with their Beastie Boys banter. :-P

For what it's worth, I am glad to finally read about some "touristy" stuff. Were you able to take pictures or will you have links to any pictures soon?

~Leanne
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?